Our Son...Then and Now

Our Son...Then and Now
Eli...minutes old

Eli...Two Months and Two Weeks old

Thursday, July 3, 2008

Back...from the dead

Okay...as I looked back at my BLOG...I have found that the last posting was LAST YEAR! I am a horrible blogger...probably because a ton of things have happened this past several months (i.e. having a son, moving, work, and finishing up my Master's degree). But, I have friends in my ward (church) who are daily bloggers and so, I felt guilty and decided to give this a try.

I read a friend's blog this evening and found that she was talking about politics. Politics and religion are two subjects that can be very confrontational and a little upsetting to talk about to some people. I have found by being a political junkie (my wife hates it when 4:00 comes around when I turn it to the news) that we have two completely different individuals running for the presidency. I find it funny that by having an innocent conversation with a Wal-Mart employee that talking about George's check that he sent out to almost everyone (seeing that $600.00 or if you're lucky more will buy a lot of things) can turn confrontational. I also find it funny that living in Utah, if you talk about Obama just a little, you can make an instant enemy, since Utah is the reddest of all states. But, I don't think that you should vote for someone just because they are either a Republican or a Democrat. I think you should really look at the person's true character, if they have true judgment, if they have wisdom, and if they will really have people with these same characteristics surround around them then we will be okay.
Now, one individual who is running for a while didn't wear a lapel pin or put his hand over his heart when the National Anthem was being played. Why is it that if you don't do these things you aren't being patriotic? I don't wear a lapel flag pin, but I am still patriotic. I also now the counterargument, but he's running for president. So...I see individuals wear that pin and they are the most unpatriotic or undemocratic individuals I have seen.
In the book The Audacity of Hope, the author states the things that he believes in. "I am very angry about policies that consistently favor the wealthy and powerful over average Americans, and insist that government has an important role in opening up opportunity for all...I think America has often been a force for goo than for ill in the world" (Obama, pgs. 10-11, 2006). I would suggest that those of you who are studying the different candidates to read and study what they say.

Question: Why do people wear sunglasses when the sun isn't out?

2 comments:

Shelle-BlokThoughts said...

I just think you like to confrontational! lol! I can admit that I haven't listened to A LOT of what Obama has to say because he just plain scares me...what I have heard sounds like it is coming from an extremely talented salesman. Sounds a lot like Fluff, but to be honest...I'm not happy about McCain either. Hence the comment of trying to decide between the lesser of two evils.

I think like in our gospel that you do things because it's right. You WEAR the pin to show your patriotism...that is the purpose fo the flag pin...yes, I DON'T wear one, but I'm not running for President.

Hand over your heart while PLEDGING YOUR ALLEGIANCE to your country is showing your respect...so when you DON'T do such a thing and you want to be the President of the United States...clearly tells me that you don't have the respect...even though that may NOT be how you feel...it is body language and that is how I read it.

:) so that is the purpose of my comments...but I totally still have and open mind...I am just not happy about anybody running for President this year...

I do try and vote on the person and not whether they are a democrat or republican or independant for that matter.

John said...

Shelle...
I had to say the things because of where I live...even in church it can be confrontational when we talk about politics in church with the Book Of Mormon. I do agree...I am not happy with who is running this year either...I haven't been happy the past two elections...I feel like I vote for the greater of the two evils.